Thursday, May 13, 2010

Shhhhhhh...I'm at work

I stayed up until midnight last night trying to get my IEPs done for today so that I could also work on the high school ETR/IEP for tomorrow's meeting. However, I've been really bad this year with IEPs and got all but one done which I planned on completing this morning in my break between meetings. Obviously, I am a procrastinator of IEPs because I should have done these 2 weeks ago, or 1 week ago, or even anytime before last night; but alas, such is the way of this professional. Procrastinator to the core.

So, here I am in between meetings, and the damn program is down! This program that they use to write IEPs is down every other day, I swear! I should have turned off the stupid TV last night to concentrate better, but I didn't. Now I'm stuck with an unfinished IEP and a dead program! Rar!

While waiting, I tried looking up whether the disability one of my students has should be called Down's Syndrome or Down Syndrome. While in graduate school, one of our professors was adamant about Parkinson disease not being said/written with the possessive -'s because of one reason or another (I obviously cannot remember the specific reason). I found a section on Wikipedia about eponyms, which is apparently when the medical name of a disease is derived from a person's name. In that Wiki page is a section called Eponyms and alternatives which had interesting pro/con lists for the use of eponyms. It seems that the medical community in general is against using the possessive -'s for names of diseases/syndromes since usually the person who's name is used never had nor owned the disorder. In my search I also read something about how the *syndrome/disease* word should not be capitalized either. So, ideally it should be written as Down syndrome. I find it all very interesting and also know that to change the view of the general public away from calling it Down's Syndrome or even Downs Syndrome will probably not ever happen.

No comments:

Post a Comment