Wednesday, May 12, 2010

It's That Time Of Year Again...

...that's right, IEP season! For those who don't know, IEP stands for Individualized Education Program. Every student that I see is on an IEP with some kind of speech/language need. The IEP, in a nutshell, is a document explaining what the student qualifies for (Speech, OT, PT, etc.), where the student is functioning now (especially w/r/t their IEP areas of need), the goals to be achieved over the next year, and what other services (specialized instruction, extended time on tests, calculator for math, etc.), if any, the student will receive.

Back in February I did about 18 IEPs for my high schoolers. Two weeks ago I did about 13 IEPs for one class of preschoolers and this week I'm doing 6 more for my other class (have more than 6 students in that class, but theirs will be redone in December which is sweet for me because I won't be there!)

Anyway, also throughout the year there are always a couple of students who are either identified as needing testing to see if they qualify for services or possibly they move into the district and need their IEPs redone to work with the new school. Well, the psychologist informed me of a high schooler a few weeks ago who was in need of some testing. At the time I asked her when it needed to be done by and she said she didn't know, but sometime before the end of the year. Well, I tested him last week and haven't gotten around to writing up his report yet. I got an e-mail at 9:30 this morning informing me that his ETR/IEP meeting will be this Friday at 9am! (ETR is Evaluation Team Report and is a report with all of the testing that is done rolled into one overly long document). I was furious! I am in the midst of preschool meetings and she tells me I have less than 48 hours (and 2 full days of work) to write up this report and make up an IEP for this kid?!?

So, here I am, typing a blog entry, watching TV, and trying to muster the mental energy to pound out these damn reports! Bah!

No comments:

Post a Comment